The Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE), also known as the MCI FMG exam, is a screening test conducted by India’s National Board of Examination (NBE). The FMGE exam is a mandatory test for Indian students who have completed their medical degree from a foreign country (outside India) if they want to practice medicine in India.
The national level exam is conducted twice every year in June and December. FMGE 2022 dates have been announced for both FMGE June 2022 and FMGE December 2022 sessions. Candidates looking to get permanent registration with the Medical Council of India or State Medical Council of India must appear and score a minimum eligibility score of 50%.
The online exam contains 300 multiple choice questions, with each part having 150 questions. The questions are based on medical topics, including pre-clinical, para-clinical, clinical issues, general surgery, and allied subjects. NBE has more than 45 test centers in major cities across the country.
Here’s a quick snapshot of the FMGE 2022 Exams
- Exam Name: FMGE 2022
- Also Known as: Foreign Medical Graduate Screening Exam 2022
- Exam Type: Post Graduate Level (MBBS)
- Exam Level: National Level
- Courses: All PG Medical Courses
- Conducted By: National Board of Examinations (NBE). Official website (https://www.natboard.edu.in/)
- Application Mode: Online
- Exam Mode: Online (Computer-based Test)
- FMGE 2022 Exam Dates: 4th June 2022 and 17th December 2022
FMGE 2022 Expected Dates
NBE has announced exam dates for both FMGE June and FMGE December sessions. The exams will be conducted on 4th June and 17th December 2022,, respectively. Other dates such as FMGE exam application dates, admit cards, result declarations are yet to be announced. Below are tentative dates based on the previous year’s exam schedule. Please visit the NBE’s official website for the latest updates.
FMGE June 2022 Session
|FMGE Event||Expected Dates|
|Start of FMGE Application Process||2nd week of April 2022|
|Last Date of Applying||1st week of May 2022|
|Application Correction Window||2nd week of May 2022|
|Online Admit Card Issuance||Last week of May 2022|
|Exam Date||4th June 2022|
|Result Declaration||Last week of June|
|Issuance of passing certificate||Last week of July|
FMGE December 2022 Session
|FMGE Event||Expected Dates|
|Start of FMGE Application Process||2nd week of October 2022|
|Last Date of Applying||1st week of November 2022|
|Application Correction Window||2nd week of November 2022|
|Online Admit Card Issuance||First week of December 2022|
|Exam Date||17th December 2022|
|Result Declaration||Last week of December 2022|
|Issuance of passing certificate||2nd week of January 2023|
Candidates applying for the FMGE admission process must meet the minimum eligibility criteria for FMGE 2022 defined by the National Board of Education (NBE). Below are key points of FMGE eligibility.
- Nationality: Only the citizens of India and overseas Indian citizens (OCI) are eligible to apply for the FMGE screening test.
- Qualification: The candidates applying for FMGE 2022 must have a medical degree recognized by the concerned Indian Embassy. The results of the qualifying degree program must have been announced before the start of the FMGE application process.
- Exemptions allowed based on country: The candidates who have an undergraduate medical degree from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, and the USA are exempted from the screening test. However, they must have recognized medical practitioner certificates from the respective authorities of these countries.
- Pakistani Students: Candidates who have completed their qualifying medical examination degree from Pakistan need to go through a thorough security clearance from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India (MHA). They can only apply once they have the desired security clearance.
- Documentation: Candidates must submit the desired certificates, qualifying examination scorecards, and other mandatory documents before the prescribed date by NBE. Failing to do so will make them ineligible to appear for the MCI FMGE examination.
FMGE Application Form
The aspirants who wants to appear for the FMGE June 2022 sessions can get the online FMGE Application Form in April 2022 by visiting the official website of NBE. For those planning to appear in the FMGE in the December 2022 session, can fill the online application form in October 2022.
The applicants must follow mentioned steps below to fill out the online form and complete the FMGE 2022 registration process:
- Visit the official website of NBE.
- Look for the FMGE 2022 section/link and click on the “New Registration” button.
- You can fill the FMGE application form for yourself or on someone’s behalf.
- Complete the initial registration by filling in mandatory details such as full name, DOB, valid mobile number, email ID, nationality, etc. Double-check the mobile number and email ID, as these will be your primary communication mode until the examination process progresses.
- You will get an OTP on your registered mobile and email to validate your application. Upon successful registration, you shall be assigned a unique application number to log in and complete the remaining online FMGE application form.
- Visit the “Go to Application” section to fill in the details like qualifying exam certification and other eligibility information.
- You should upload clean and scanned copy of your documents and nationality proof, including a scanned colored photograph, signature/thumb impression, medical degree, educational qualification docs, passport, and other required documents. Ensure the documents are as asked in the format and don’t exceed the size limit.
- After selecting your preferred test center, the candidates must pay the FMGE 2022 Application fee online through any medium like debit card, credit card, or net banking facilities. Offline fee payments may be allowed at certain SBI branches.
- Upon successful registration, candidates will receive an email with FMGE 2022 exam details. It is best to take printouts of application confirmation for future reference.
FMGE 2022 Registration Correction (Things to Remember)
Please note the below points while applying for FMGE 2022:
- FMGE 2022 Application fee (INR 5,500 excluding GST) is non-refundable and non-transferable. Under no circumstance will applicants be allowed to withdraw their application or ask for a refund.
- There is a small correction window to change your application before the FMGE 2022 exam in the 2nd week of July for the June 2022 session and 2nd week of November for the December session. However, candidates can only make changes to the editable fields.
- Candidates cannot change their name, email ID, nationality, and preference test center; hence, they must carefully fill the FMGE application form during the registration process.
- The applicants need to upload/submit required documents along with the FMGE application form and during admission at Indian Medical Colleges. Some of the documents include:
o SSC or equivalent mark sheet
- o SSC or equivalent passing certificate
- o HSC or equivalent mark sheet
- o HSC or equivalent passing certificate
- o Qualifying exam certificate/Medical degree/provisions certificate.
- o Residential proof
- o Passport copy
- o Internship certificate
- o Ex candidate or failure certificate
- o Date of birth certificate
- o Photographs (Passport size)
FMGE Admit Card
The official exam authority NBE will release the FMGE 2022 Admit Card for the applicants at least a week before the national level entrance exam. The candidates can also check the official website of NBE for detailed information about the admit card issuance process. The tentative dates of the online admit card issuance is the 2nd week of July 2022 and the first week of December 2022 for FMGE June 2022 and December 2022 sessions, respectively.
Candidates with successful FMGE registration will receive the admit card/exam hall ticket through SMS on registered mobile and email id. The candidate must report any error in the admit card to the issuing authority as soon as possible to get it corrected. The applicants need to follow the direction to download and print the FMGE admit card and attach a recent colored photograph (in the desired resolution, without any ornament, prescribed size limit and no reflection, the face should be visible).
Things to remember at FMGE Exam Center:
- Along with the FMGE admit card, candidates appearing for FMGE 2022 must carry valid ID proof. Following documents (in original) are accepted.
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Pan Card
- Candidates must report to the allotted exam center two hours before exam time, and show admit card and ID proof at the entry. Admit card contains a unique barcode, which must be scanned to allow access to the examination center. Entry will close 30 minutes before the exam schedule.
- The name on the admit card and ID proof must match. If there is any mismatch, the candidate must carry a supporting document to validate the change. Failing to do so, they can be stopped from entering the exam center.
- Candidates must always keep the COVID-19 guidelines in mind and comply with standard procedures, including adequate physical distancing, hand sanitizers, masks, and temperature checking at entry points.
- Candidates must have the COVID-19 negative test result (latest 72 hours), and if they are unwell, they must refrain from appearing at the examination center.
FMGE Exam Pattern
The FMGE entrance exam will happen in an online mode (computer-based test) at allotted exam centers. There are two parts in which the FMGE exam is divided equally (time and questions). Part A (morning session) and Part B (afternoon session.)
The applicants will get a maximum of two hours and 30 minutes duration to solve the question paper of each part. Below are some key points of the FMGE 2022 Exam pattern:
- Total Number of Questions: The FMGE 2022 exam will have 300 questions. 150 in each part.
- Type of Questions: Applicants will have to answer objective-type multiple-choice questions.
- Distribution of Marks – FMGE subjects include pre- and para-clinical subjects including anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology, and forensic science will have a weightage of 100 out of 300 marks. The remaining 200 marks questions will check the knowledge of clinical subjects such as medicine, psychiatry, general therapy, gynaecology, and community medicine.
- Negative Marking: Incorrect answers marked by aspirants in the exam will not deduct any negative markings.
- Language: The FMGE 2022 question paper will be in the English language only.
- Number of Attempts: As of now, there is no limit on the number of attempts allowed for NBE FMGE entrance exams. Candidates who fail to clear the cut-off marks of 50% in FMGE June 2022 can apply and appear for FMGE December 2022 session.
FMGE syllabus covers three primary medical study subjects, i.e. pre- and para-clinical, general surgery, and allied subjects. If you are applying for FMGE, you may refer to the below table for the high-level FMGE subjects and topics.
Pre- and Para-Clinical Subjects
- Forensic medicine
- Dermatology and STD.
General Surgery and Allied Subjects
- General surgery
- Radio diagnostics
- Community medicine
Candidates who wish to clear FMGE with good marks must prepare rigorously and have a study plan to cover essential aspects of the FMGE syllabus. The good thing is there is nothing in the syllabus that you haven’t studied or practiced during your qualification exams or internship days. Here are a few things to follows:
- Do not wait for the registration process to begin your exam preparation. A lot of information is available on the official website of NBE. Make the best use and start right away.
- Candidates must prepare and stick to a timetable for preparation.
- Go through the NBE guidelines and reference material to know the exam pattern, previous year papers, and recommended books.
- Continuous practice by attempting mock papers. NBE also conducts an FMGE mock test for successfully registered applicants. Do not miss that, as it prepares you with any recent changes and gives you an actual exam-like experience.
- Mock papers also help you identify your weak areas. As you come closer to exam dates, make sure to focus on the areas of improvement.
- While covering the complete syllabus, make quick notes, mind maps, and flowcharts, as they will help you during revision.
- Start revising all the concepts before a week or two of the entrance exam.
FMGE Result and Scorecard
The NBE typically declares the FMGE result and scorecard within a month of entrance exams. The result for FMGE December 2021 was announced on December 29, 2021. If you have already appeared in the FMGE exam, you may follow the below steps to check the result:
- Visit the official site of NBE (nbe.edu.in)
- Look for the FMGE link available on the Home Page
- As soon as you click the FMGE link, a new window will open
- Click on the scorecard tab
- Enter your credentials (user id and password) and hit submit
- The system will generate the FMGE result, and your scorecard will be displayed on the screen
- You should download and print the scorecard for future reference
Suppose you are appearing in FMGE June 2022 or FMGE December 2022 examinations, the process of finding results and scorecards will remain similar, as mentioned above. Please refer to the official website of NBE for any clarification or changes.
FMGE 2022 counseling sessions dates are yet to be announced by NBE; once NBE declares the result for the entrance exam, it prepares and releases a merit list based on the marks scored by candidates.
FMGE 2022 counseling session will be based on FMGE 2022 merit list. The successful candidates who secure more than the cut-off marks will be provided additional details through the official website of NBE. The candidates will need to apply for admission to their respective medical colleges.
Documents required at the time of FMGE admissions:
- SSC (10th) or equivalent mark sheet and certificate.
- HSC (10+2) or equivalent mark sheet and passing certificate.
- Qualifying exam degree and mark sheet.
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
- Admit card details
- Character certificate
- Domicile certificate
- FMGE entrance exam scorecard
- Medical fitness certificate
- Migration certificate/ Transfer certificate
- Other applicable qualifying mark sheets and passing certificates
- Address proof/Govt ID proof/valid passport
- Photographs (Passport size)
FMGE 2022 FAQs
How many times FMGE is conducted, and what is the FMGE 2022 exam pattern?
The national level entrance examination is conducted in June and December twice a year. FMGE follows the single paper examination, divided into two parts. Each part has 150 multiple choice questions, and students get 2 hours and 30 minutes to attempt those. The total number of questions in FMGE is 300 questions.
Is FMGE more complex than NEET PG?
FMGE is considered relatively easier than NEET PG; however, in recent years, the plan is to increase the difficulty level of these exams to ensure it checks the desired knowledge and competency of the medical students looking to practice in India.
How many attempts do I get to pass FMGE?
There is no limit on the number of attempts that a candidate can appear for FMGE. If a candidate fails to clear the FMGE exam in June, the same candidate can reappear for the exam in December.
Is the FMGE exam enough to become a professional doctor in India?
After clearing the MCI FMGE exams, successful candidates need to apply for a compulsory internship of a minimum of one year at an Indian Medical College. After completing the internship, they can get the license to practice professionally in India.
Do I need to appear for NEET PG after passing FMGE?
If you wish to apply for PG Medical courses within India, you must appear for NEET PG after the FMGE exam.
What are the registration fees for the MCI FMG exam?
The registration fee for the 2022 MCI FMG exams is INR 5,500 (excluding GST). The total fees, including GST and nominal online transaction charges, will be approximately INR 6,500. Please note that the application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.