Preparing for and securing a good score in NEET-PG is an overwhelming task. But the real challenge waits ahead when the students have to choose a branch after entering PG medical college. Although, every stream of medical science is significant and has its place in the medical industry.
But, experts advise students to go for a specialization that they are passionate about. So what are the top medical branches that will have a promising future in 2022? Here is a list of the seven medical streams that experts predict to have a massive demand surge in coming times. Students should go through the blog post and identify the best medical branch that will breathe life into their dreams of becoming successful doctors.
- Radiology is an advanced branch of medical science. It enables doctors to see and diagnose ailments developing inside the body. AI has further increased the demand for this branch in the industry.
- Students can select from specializations like Cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, breast-imaging, and nuclear radiology. Apart from these, they can also go for neuro, pediatric, genitourinary, and emergency radiology.
- Radiology Radiographer / Technologist, Ultrasound Technician, MRI Technician, CAT Scan Technologist are some of the top job profiles in this stream.
- Many Diagnostic Labs, Government Hospitals, Public Health Centers, Private Hospitals, and Nursing Homes look forward to hiring skilled radiologists.
- Experts believe radiology to be one of the highest-earning branches so far. The Medical Council of India offers 1828 PG Radiology seats in 285 colleges to fulfil the demand for Radiology doctors.
- General Medicine is the branch of medicine that involves diagnosis and treatment (nonsurgical) of internal organ ailments. This branch operates at the primary level and helps in preventing severe diseases.
- Gynaecologist, General Surgeon, Bacteriologist, Physiologist, and Obstetrician are some of the top profiles for GM graduates.
- Many leading hospitals, polyclinics, laboratories, health centers, non-profit organizations, and biomedical companies look forward to hiring dynamic GM graduates.
- Around 332 PG colleges offer 4050 General Medicine seats in India, making it a popular stream to explore.
- Anatomy is a branch of biological sciences. It involves the identification and description of body structures. However, experts believe Anatomy is more about studying the composition, appearance, relationship, and positioning of different body parts.
- Around 284 PG colleges offer 921 MS/MD seats in Anatomy. Embryology, histology, zootomy, human anatomy, gross anatomy, and comparative anatomy are some branches of Anatomy.
- The majority of anatomists prefer to work in universities, colleges, and medical centers. They generally do research or teach Anatomy to the students. They also train physicians, nurses, dentists, scientists, dentists, and other health workers.
- Many leading scientific and medical publishing firms prefer to hire dynamic Anatomy graduates.
- It is a branch of medical science that applies medical understanding to establish facts in criminal and civil legal cases. Students passionate about investigating, taking clues, and evidence can go for this medical stream.
- Forensic science technicians must have excellent research and investigating skills. Outstanding communication skills, critical thinking skills, and problem-solving skills are essential to excel in this field. Last but not least, students who want to go for Forensic Medicine should have a good hold on both mathematical and scientific concepts.
- Around 187 medical colleges offer 512 Forensic Medicine seats. Forensic medicine graduates can work in the capacity of a crime scene investigator, trace evidence analyst, or forensic pathologist.
- That’s not all. Students who have an interest in the legal side of forensic medicine can also choose to work in the crime rehabilitation sector.
Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology deal with the health of female reproductive organs, both in the pregnant and non-pregnant state.
- Around 2951 MS/MD Obstetrics and Gynecology seats are offered by 327 institutes. Experts call it one of the most demanding careers to choose from after entering PG medical college.
- It is a super-specialization stream that is highly regarded in medical science. Many private and government hospitals release lucrative job offers for Obstetrics and Gynecology graduates.
- Apart from this, they can also consider joining the education or research industry.
- Pediatrics is a branch of Medical Sciences that deals with infants, babies, children, and adolescents.
- This branch diagnoses and treats dysfunctions, injuries, infections, malignancies, organic diseases, and genetic defects in children. Around 325 PG medical colleges in India offer 2578 Pediatrics seats in India.
- Neonatology, child neurology, pediatric critical care, and pediatric oncology are some of the most demanding specializations in Pediatrics.
- The scope for Pediatrics is endless in India. Besides private and government hospitals, Paediatricians can also work in research laboratories, medical centers, and health organizations.
- Moreover, they can also choose to make their career in railways, armed forces, and other public sector medical departments. That’s not all. They can also apply to medical colleges and training institutes.
- Orthopedics is a crucial branch of medical science that deals with injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons diagnose and treat joints, bones, tendons, nerves, muscles, and ligaments.
- The Medical Council of India offers 2121 orthopedic seats across 316 medical colleges. The scope of orthopedics is very bright. Orthopedic surgeons work with high-profile private and public hospitals. That’s not all. Naval and army forces also roll out lucrative job opportunities for skilled surgeons.
- Orthopedic surgeons, consultants, researchers, physical therapists, orthopedic nurses, and sports medicine physicians are some of the top career options in this branch.
- They can also appear for CMSE (Combined Medical Services Exam) to join Central Health Services and Factories Health Services.